Thursday, July 26, 2018

What Happened and Where were you on July 26, 1976?





                                                               
                                                                Marjorie Evans (1976)

(yep, that's me)                                           

What Happened in 1976 Important News and Events

Apple is formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Nadia Comaneci scores the first ever perfect score in Gymnastics. NASA Unviels first space shuttle, Fidel Castro President of Cuba, $2.00 bill Issued, Notting Hill Carnival Riots, United States Bicentennial celebrations, First Legionnaires Disease,

How Much things cost in 1976

Average Cost of new house $43,400.00
Average Income per year $16,000.00
Average Monthly Rent $220.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 59 cents
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 12,704
Gallon of Petrol 0.76



Plymouth Arrow$3,175.00
Polaroid Camera $28.00
Mens Sports Jacket $37.15
Zenith 25" Color TV $599.00
CB Radio $147.00
Micro Wave Oven $169.00

#1 Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band

**
Out of all of this information, I find How Much things cost in 1976 the most interesting. 
I graduated in 1976. Looking at things like a Micro Wave Oven, I didn't event know they existed! I remember the first time I saw a microwave was at work, in the break room. That was around 1983...I remember going into the break room and opening the door on the microwave..someone had placed a Wendy's burger in it, inside the foil it was wrapped in. Inside of the microwave was full of sparks!

Take a look at the cost of a mens sports jacket, almost $40.00, really?
Minimum wage, in reality was $2.30 an hour!

1976 was a mixed bag for me. I think of that time now and I really am grateful to have grown up in the time period I did...

#ThrowbackThursday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artificial intelligence yields new antibiotic

                              A Deep Learning Model Identifies a   New Drug That Can Kill                                Many Species of ...